Friday, June 18, 2010

My Fresh Sheet

In hockey, there is no blurring of lines. If you cross one when you shouldn't, the whistle is blown.  The same should hold true in blogging. 

When Deb and I were young, I used to write stuff all the time - in a notebook that she gave me for such things.  It was pretty amateurish, and I never really focused my attention on writing or pushed myself to do more of it...or get better at it.  When I began writing about my backyard rink experiences in 2006, I remembered how much I love to write - and how much I missed it.

As time went by I began to write about things beyond backyard rinkdom - I wrote about my kids, people who died on me, stuff that happened to me as a boy, and on and on.  Then I started writing some fictitious short stories based on reality (?).  While I am glad I wrote them (and continue to write more), I realized they do not truly belong on my Four-em site:  What happens when somebody clicks on The Millin Four-em to see how I managed to overcome 3 days of above freezing temperatures, and they get a story about a guy who delivered papers for a living?  Blurring the lines isn't cool.  It's messy.  It's worthy of a whistle.

So, I started another site titled, "My Fresh Sheet".  While the title is a hockey term - it is also a "cross-over" - a literary term, and a broad one at that.  I can put whatever I want on that sheet in good comfort, knowing I am not off-sides but well within the field of play.

I even pulled some of my non-rink related posts over to the site, and just posted a story I started writing last summer but only finished this Spring.  Some things with me take time.

From now on the Four-em posts will be rink related, and My Fresh Sheet will be those of a different "type."

1 comment:

Critica said...

I love all your hocky references...

I'm a Bruins fan. :)